Open Staff Positions
We don’t currently have any open staff positions. Please sign up for our newsletter to hear of upcoming openings.
Open VISTA role: Community Engagement Coordinator
Scroll down for the application link. Please read all the information about the VISTA Program requirements.
Join CommunityGrows as part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program!
With support from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), CommunityGrows (CG) will be hosting an AmeriCorps volunteer as part of the VISTA Program. The CG VISTA will help build our capacity and increase our impact by strengthening engagement and commitment in four primary communities: our volunteers; our participants and their families; our funders and supporters; and our partners and neighbors.
Requirements for the VISTA Program
Benefits of the VISTA program include a $24,120/year living allowance, $5,575 post-service education award (to be used toward future education or towards payment of federal student loans) OR a $1500 end of year stipend, health care benefits, professional development opportunities, and 10 personal and 10 sick days. Visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/resources/vista-healthcare-options for more information about VITSA healthcare.
In order to apply for VISTA, the following minimum qualifications must be met:
– Be at least 18 years old upon entering VISTA training. There is no upper age limit.
– Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
Not be listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as having been convicted of sex-related crimes.
– Be willing to submit fingerprints for a criminal history background check.
– Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year beginning July 8th, 2019 and ending July 7th, 2020
– Be able to relate previous education, training, military, or work experience, and demonstrate other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment.
– Be willing, to the maximum extent practicable, to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by VISTA projects.
– Understand that VISTA is a full-time 12 month commitment and are required to serve an average of 40 hours per week.
– VISTAs are allowed to attend classes; however their studies must not interfere with VISTA responsibilities. A VISTA must discuss taking classes with his/her supervisor before enrolling. If classes do interfere, the VISTA may be asked to either withdraw from the course(s) within one week or asked to end their service.
– VISTAs are allowed part-time outside employment; however under no circumstances may a VISTA member be an employee of or a contractor for the sponsor or project to which he/she is assigned to.
– VISTAs cannot be subjects of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for VISTA assignments. VISTA service cannot be used to satisfy service requirements of parole or probation.
– Complete the online VISTA Pre-Service Orientation Training by July 8th.
CommunityGrows (CG) co-cultivates healthy youth through growing gardens in low-income, diverse communities. Through outdoor, environmental and nutrition education, we help high-needs youth, especially those living in public housing in San Francisco, develop the confidence, skills and experience to live a healthy life and become leaders in their communities. Each year we engage over 1,300 kids through our garden and cooking programs.
We are a grassroots organization that has served the community for the last 23 years. Cultivation of healthy youth takes time and we continue to build support and solidarity with deep relationships amongst our community partners. CommunityGrows is committed to diversity and equity. Our values include: co-powerment, restorative justice, social justice, food justice, active listening, leadership building, love, compassion, respect, nature, community, resiliency, and peace. (Learn more about our tenets and values here.)