The Western Addition
- is densely populated with 53.3 persons per acre in contrast to a city median average of 32.5 persons per acre (2010 Census)
- has the highest percentage of residents living in public housing in San Francisco per land area
- 17% of households are below the federal poverty line (compared to 11% citywide)
- median income of only $41,322 (compared to $70,040 citywide)
- unemployment rate has increased by 100% (or doubled) between 2000-2009, compared to a 57% increase citywide
- youth ages 19-24 represent the largest age group in the community seeking employment
- according to the Health Matters SF Community Snapshots , the Western Addition has some of the highest rates of asthma, diabetes, alcohol abuse, and infant health problems in San Francisco, with almost every health indicator in the dangerous red zone
CommunityGrows was established in 1994 to respond to the tremendous needs in the Western Addition community.
Help us raise funds to get 1,200 youth from low-income communities away from violence and into programs that make them healthy, smart, environmentally educated and create pathways to jobs.