On Monday, December 9, 2013 the after-school youth at Hayward Rec Center on Laguna Street in San Francisco, got to make a holiday treat: Gingerbread! Gingerbread from scratch! It was a long process and everyone had faith that something good was going to come of all their efforts. Each youth got to add the ingredients, stir the batter, whip the cream and taste the goodies. Leaders Adrian Almquist and Frances Bradley passed around a ginger root and talked about its many benefits. For more photos from the afternoon, check out our flickr photostream here.
Here is the recipe!
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
1 cub buttermilk
1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9″ pan.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices.
3. Melt butter, add molasses. Add both to dry ingredients.
4. Add water. Whisk together egg and buttermilk and add to mixture. Add crystallized ginger.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.