On Thursday, July 23rd, youth from Plaza East put together two beautiful quiches with the help of CommunityGrows staff Adrian Almquist and volunteer, soon-to-be staff, Jay Jordan.
Everyone was excited to work with Jay and pitched in to de-stem kale, chop onions and crack eggs. Each youth got a chance to do all the steps of the recipe, and assemble the quiches before they went into the oven. In thirty minutes, the quiche came out of the oven and were enjoyed by all.
Here is the recipe:
2 tablespoons butter
1 oinion, minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups chopped fresh kale
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs, well beaten
1-1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and kale. Cook slowly stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft.
3. Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese.
4. Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper and stir in melted butter. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until center has set.